"For I know well the plans I have in mind for you,' says the Lord. 'Plans for your welfare, not for woe. Plans to give you a future full of hope." -Jeremiah 29:11-13

What J 29:11-13 means in 2011. I am 29 years old this year. It has been 11 years since I consecrated my life to Our Lady. It has been 13 years since I made my candidate TEC. These events set my life on the course it has taken.

This blog is an attempt to look back at where I've been and reflect on how it has made me who I am. I'm taking all the entries from old emails, letters and my prayer journal. 19 year-old Joel is a very different person in many ways than 29 year-old Joel and sometimes I cringe at my writings from 2001. But I hope that my journey is helpful to you in some way, especially to the people who were there with me through those years. But also I am writing to you, my young friends, those who did not know me then, but are now navigating your own time in college and vocational discernment. Peace be with you. You'll make it.

Friday, December 9, 2011

October 2000- Prophetic Words

another email to Jackie:


Thank you. Thank you for last night and for the rides and my scapular and for our walk in the field and digging in the dirt with me.


I am always there for you. Always in heart. And where I fail, Christ never will. He should be your standard, not me. Gosh, I hope you don't end up with a weirdo like me.

Frankly, I am amazed that she fell for me. I mean, seriously, these emails? Let this be hope to all hopelessly nerdy guys out there: you too can win the girl of your dreams by mere faith alone.

1 comment: